SIX The Musical
SIX the Musical has quickly become a popular musical in England and is now on Broadway. SIX is beginning its Broadway Tour in the U.S. and we will get the opportunity to check it out. For us, seeing a Broadway musical happens at the amazing Dr. Phillips Center in Orlando. Check out these things you must know about SIX The Musical to enjoy it on Broadway or on tour!
What is SIX about?
SIX The Musical opens up with six dynamic performers introducing themselves and welcoming you to the ultimate competition. Don’t worry, this isn’t about the vocals, which is good news because I couldn’t pick one lady over the others! Instead, we’ll listen to all six of Henry XIII’s wives share their stories and decide who had it the hardest! Each wife will take the mic over to share her unique journey while married to the king. The fun of this show comes in the pop star style show that feels more like a concert than a stage show.
Is SIX the Musical appropriate for children?
I’m a huge advocate of getting kids in the theatre to enjoy a good show! This show is no exception to that rule! That said, there are some elements of the lyrics your children may or may not pick up on. It will depend on the age of the child as to whether they pick up on some of the more sensitive themes in the lyrics. The visual side of the performances will be fun and good for most children. Here are a few of the story elements you will encounter in the lyrics.
- Implied cursing – While most of the songs don’t outright curse, they have a good time playing with the audience by getting close to a curse word before connecting it to the next line.
- Rape – The topic of rape will be brought up as more than one of the queens was sexually assaulted repeatedly. They do not go into extreme detail. Instead, it’s couched in a song that can sound fun to younger ears but definitely represents the truth of what happened.
- Death – Considering two of our leading ladies were beheaded, you will hear about death. In fact, you’re going to see one slightly panic at the realization that the king will really behead her. That said, it’ll be done with a laugh before moving on to the next lyric.
If you are concerned with the musical being appropriate for your child, I recommend heading to Spotify to listen to the full musical for yourself. This is also a great way to see if the musical would keep your child’s interest!
Where can I watch SIX The Musical?
SIX The Musical is currently found on Broadway in New York. You can also experience the show with the two touring casts at the following dates and locations:
- Orlando, Florida – Dr. Phillips Center – October 4-9, 2022
- Ft Lauderdale, FL – Broward Center for the Performing Arts – October 11-23, 2022
- Miami, FL – Adrienne Arsht Center – October 25 – 30, 2022
- Tampa, FL – Straz Center for the Performing Arts – November 1 – 6, 2022
- Boston, MA – Emerson Colonial Theatre – November 9, 2022–January 15, 2023
- Hartford, CT – The Bushnell – January 17-22, 2023
- Columbus, OH – Ohio Theatre – January 24-29, 2023
- Fort Myers, FL – Mann Performing Arts Hall – February 1-5, 2023
- San Francisco, CA – Orpheum Theatre – February 21–March 19, 2023
- Los Angeles, CA – Pantages Theatre – May 9–June 10, 2023
- Costa Mesa, CA – Segerstrom Center – June 13-25, 2023
- San Diego, CA – Civic Theatre – June 27–July 9, 2023
- Tempe, Arizona – ASU Gammage – October 4-9, 2022
- Tucson, AZ – Centennial Hall October 11-16, 2022 Tickets
- St. Paul, MN – Ordway Center October 25–November 6, 2022 Tickets
- Houston, TX – Hobby Center November 8-20, 2022
- Tulsa, OK – Tulsa PAC November 22-27, 2022
- New Orleans, LA – Saenger Theatre November 29–December 4, 2022 Tickets
- Dallas, TX – Winspear Opera House December 6-25, 2022
- Omaha, NE – Orpheum Theater January 3-8, 2023
- Grand Rapids, MI – DeVos Performance Hall January 10-15, 2023
- Appleton, WI – Fox Cities PAC January 17-22, 2023
- St. Louis, MO – Fabulous Fox Theatre January 24–February 5, 2023 Tickets
- Des Moines, IA – Des Moines Civic Center February 7-19, 2023 Tickets
- Nashville, TN – TPAC February 21-26, 2023
- Kansas City, MO – Music Hall February 28–March 5, 2023
- Milwaukee, WI – Marcus Center – March 7-12, 2023
- Pittsburgh, PA – Benedum Center – March 14-19, 2023
- Philadelphia, PA – Academy of Music – March 21–April 9, 2023
- Providence, RI – PPAC – April 11-23, 2023
- Buffalo, NY – Shea’s PAC – April 25–May 7, 2023
- Baltimore, MD – Hippodrome Theatre – May 9-14, 2023
- Rochester, NY – Auditorium Theatre – May 16-21, 2023
- Hershey, PA – Hershey Theatre – June 13-18, 2023
- Durham, NC – DPAC – June 20–July 2, 2023
- Charlotte, NC – Belk Theater – July 4-16, 2023
- Greenville, SC – Peace Center – July 18-23, 2023
- Madison, WI – Overture Center – August 1-6, 2023
- Cleveland, OH – KeyBank State Theatre – August 8–September 10, 2023
Who are the queens in SIX The Musical?
Before you spend a night hearing the stories, let’s talk a bit about the queens you get to spend some time with! King Henry VIII had six wives and each had their own incredible story. They were divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived but they were so much more than that! I wanted to give you some background on each of the queens and the history behind them so that you can more fully appreciate what they bring to the show!
Aragon (Gold Costume)
Catherine of Aragon is hard to miss in her gold costume. She was the first wife of Henry VIII after her first husband, Henry’s oldest brother passed away. She was 23 when she married Henry. She had 6 children for him but lost 5 of them to stillbirth or miscarriage. Her only living child was a girl named Mary. Henry VIII pursued an annulment of the marriage because he was set on securing a male heir.
Catherine of Aragon pushed against the divorce. When the divorce was finally granted, Henry VIII took Catherine of Aragon out of the public eye and put her into seclusion.
What song does Aragon sing in SIX?
In her iconic song “No Way,” Catherine of Aragon shares her side of the story! She talks about the unfaithfulness of her husband and the fights she had to undergo to prevent the divorce and keep her rights. This song is a fun power anthem you’re going to want to blast in the car! I know we do!
Boleyn (Green Costume)
Anne Boleyn is here to share her story and she won’t be dismissed! Anne Boleyn caught the attention of King Henry VIII while he was still married to Aragon. In fact, his secret marriage to Anne Boleyn was one of the main reasons that the annulment was ultimately granted. The marriage to Anne Boleyn was also the reason the king broke with the church and it led to the English Reformation! She had 3 pregnancies while married to the king. Only one of the pregnancies survived and it was a girl.
An accusation of affairs and incest was used by the king to lead to the beheading of Anne Boleyn. Many believe these accusations had no backing to support them and were untrue.
What song does Boleyn sing in SIX The Musical?
You can hear Anny Boleyn sing “Don’t lose your head” in the show. This fun song plays on the sadness of her story.
Seymour (Black and White Costume)
Jane Seymour was the third wife of Henry VIII and is often referred to as the wife he loved most dearly. Seymour was the wife that brought the king his male heir. She also helped to restore Mary (daughter of Aragon) in the king’s eyes and restore that relationship.
Sadly, Jane Seymour died 12 short days after having her son.
What song does Seymore sing?
You can hear Seymour sing the power ballad of the entire show. Her song, “Heart of Stone” is sure to bring you to tears as it’s such a beautiful song!
Cleves (Red Costume)
Anna of Cleves (also known as Anne) was the fourth wife of Henry VIII. The king married Anna because he needed a political alliance with her brother. Anna of Cleves was sent to marry the king and he was not impressed with her appearance. He began to resent her and her lack of command of the English language. When the king’s political goals were not achieved, an annulment was granted.
The only condition of this divorce was that Anna live out the rest of her days in England with a large financial settlement provided to her.
What song does Cleves sing?
You can hear Cleves sing “Get Down” during the show. This fun song focuses on her life as a divorced woman with a large financial stipend. This song is definitely the party song of the show! Be prepared to Get Down!
Howard (Pink Costume)
Catherine Howard (sometimes spelled Katherine) was the lady in waiting for Anna of Cleves. She was Henry VIII’s fifth wife just three weeks after the annulment of his marriage to Anna of Cleves. Catherine was only 17 when she married the king who was 49 at the time. It didn’t take long for rumors of Catherine’s past to reach the king. She was rumored to have had a sexual relationship with her music teacher at the age of 13 and also rumored to have had sexual interactions with other people before the king. An affair while married to the king was the final straw.
Howard was beheaded because of her infidelity and past sexual encounters and many believe she was only 17 when she died.
What song does Howard sing?
You can hear Howard sing “All You Wanna Do” which sounds like a fun pop song but it has a painful undertone. Howard sings of desperately wanting someone to want and love her while only being sexually assaulted and manipulated. She sings of ultimately dying unloved to the end. (This is the song you will see me cry to every time!)
Parr (Blue Costume)
Catherine Parr (also spelled Katherine) was the sixth and final wife of King Henry VIII. Catherine Parr married the king and sacrificed a love she had prior to him. She chose to care for the ailing king in his final days. She was the first queen to write and publish books! Katherine stayed married to the king for five years until he died at 55. This allowed her the freedom to return to the love she’d previously sacrificed. She’s known in the show as the wife who survived.
What song does Parr sing?
You can hear Parr sing “I don’t need your love” in the show. This song opens with a goodbye to the love of her life before she goes on to share about her marriage to the king. However, it also does an incredible job of sharing the accomplishments she had as queen.
Free SIX The Musical Printables
One of the best ways to get excited about the show or even celebrate the show after it’s over is to print out some fun things to do or use in your day-to-day life. I have put together some fun printables for you and I’ve also shared the official tour printables below.
Dr. Phillips Center 2022-2023 Broadway Schedule
- SIX – October 4-9, 2022
- Hamilton – October 26–November 20
- Hadestown – December 13–18, 2022 (Not listed on the main Broadway list but worth seeing!)
- Tina – January 10–15, 2023
- Riverdance – January 20–22, 2023
- Wicked – January 25–February 12, 2023
- Pretty Woman: The Musical – February 28–March 5, 202
- Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird – March 21–26, 2023
- Chicago – April 18–23, 2023
- My Fair Lady – May 9–14, 2023
- Beetlejuice – June 27–July 2, 2023