Summer is a great time to take the kids out to do something really fun and unwind. It can also be a really expensive time of year if you aren’t careful. I have put together a list of free summer activities and resources to make your summer a little bit more affordable while keeping it fun.
This is a working list of free Summer activities. I will be adding to it through the summer as I find new and amazing options for you. If you know of something that should be added please comment or e-mail me.
Free Summer Activities and Resources for Kids
Camps & Programs
- Apple offers camps at youth programs free to children 8-12 years of age. Find out more Here.
- Google Maker Camp – This one looks like something a homeschool group would be able to host and have a lot of fun with.
- Home Depot Kids Weekly Workshops – Get your kids building for free with these fun workshops each week.
- Microsoft Youth Spark Camp – These work on game design and coding. You will have to stay at the store while your child is in the camp.
With summer comes the extra hardship for some families to provide meals for their children during the day. There is a great movement by the USDA to offer free meals to these children. Look up locations where you can feed your kids for free this summer here.
Free Summer Movie
Make sure to get there early. Some of these fill up quickly
Cobb Theaters – Summer Movie Schedule:
June 14, 15, 16
Norm of the North (PG)
Shaun the Sheep (PG)
June 21, 22, 23
The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (PG)
June 28, 29, 30
Penguins of Madagascar (PG)
Dr. Seuss: Horton Hears a Who! (G)
July 5, 6, 7
Alvin & The Chipmunks: The Road Chip (PG)
Shark Tale (PG)
July 12, 13, 14
The Peanuts Movie (G)
July 19, 20, 21
Hotel Transylvania 2 (PG)
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (PG)
July 26, 27, 28
Smurfs 2 (PG)
August 2, 3, 4
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (PG)
Happy Feet (PG)
Free Summer Bowling
Kids Bowl Free – Kids are able to bowl two games for free each day of the summer through this program.
Also, make sure to check with your local bowling alley. Some have private programs for their free summer bowling.
Free Summer Skating
Sign up with Kids Skate Free to find out when your local rink offers free summer skating and how you can take part. Some places require skate rental fees. Ask about this before going.
Online Freebies for Summer
Summer Reading Programs
- Barnes & Nobles is offering one free book from their list when your reads and documents reading 8 books using their form. Find out more at Barnes & Nobles.
- Book Adventure – Your child will read and then answer comprehension questions about the book to earn points that can be redeemed for some cool prizes.
- Half Price Books – Read 300 minutes, turn in your completed reading log to earn your $5 HPB Bookworm Bucks reading reward for the month.
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge – May 9th – September 9th – Earn rewards by logging reading time.
- TD Bank – Read 10 books this summer and earn $10 to your child’s TD bank savings account.
Free Swim Lessons
Call your local YMCA or aquatic center to find out which weeks they will be offering free swim lessons. Some of these will be income based but are a great option if you can’t afford swim lessons.
Looking for more?