Halloween is just around the corner. Instead of running out the store to grab yet another Pumpkin Candy Bowl why not have a little fun crafting with your kids? (Who am I kidding? This one is fun for crafting alone too.) This would also be a fun project for kids if they have a pumpkin allergy. (It’s a thing. I promise. The goo inside a pumpkin hates me.)
What you will need:
- Balloon – You will need one for each globe. Pick a bright color. It will help you later.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Flour
- Shredded paper. – While newspaper works well, if you have old white paper I recommend using it. It makes it easier to paint with less coats.
- Twine or String – You will need about a foot and a half.
- Paint – You will need Orange and Black. You can use other colors if you want to do more to your Pumpkin.
- Mod Podge
What to do:
- Start by mixing Flour and Water to make a paste – I recommend using a wire wisk to get out any lumps in the mixture.
- Blow up your balloon – Pick the size you want your globe to be and blow up your balloon.
- Tie your twine to the top of your balloon. – You will need to hang it to dry later.
- Dip Strips in glue flour mixture and wipe off excess – The paper strips only need to be moistened.
- Start with a single strip around the spot you want to be the top of your bowl. – This will give you a reference point and keep things mostly smooth.
- Stick to balloon and smooth out. – Make sure to have your child rub the strip down so that it doesn’t have any lumps. Lumps now will set that way as it dries.
- Check for holes and patch them – Holes in the paper will dry as actual holes in your globe. Have your child make sure to check for spots that aren’t covered. This is where having a bright colored balloon comes in handy. You don’t know how hard it was to find holes on the white one.
- Let dry overnight.
- Pop Balloon – Use a needle and pop your balloon.
- Set on a hard surface and look at where it naturally tilts.
- Mark the front so that you know where to put the face.
- Paint your orange first. – It may take up to 3 coats to get a nice dark orange without the newspaper showing.
- Add all of your details and let dry. – You can go as simple or as complicated as you want with this project.
- Add a coat of Mod Podge – This will seal your bowl and keep the bugs out of it. Let sit for 24 hours.
- Fill with candy and enjoy.