Meagan spoke about Give Kids The World this morning but I wanted to offer a follow up because I was so impressed by this place!
We initially heard about About Give Kids The World, about 6 months ago while watching a local attraction show. After watching the show I told Meagan that should an opportunity ever come up to check them out we would have to jump on it. With my mom working in Pedi-Oncology as long as I can remember and with several members of our family having either struggled with cancer or have lost their lives due to various forms of Cancer, this organization had a special place in my heart. Meagan did a pretty good job of summarizing the place and some of the highlighted features of the resort so I will not rehash that information but if I had to pick a few highlights that stuck out to me they would be:
- The Volunteers and Staff– Meagan touched on them briefly but the people who comprise the staff and the over 1,000 of volunteer hours per work week are one of the main reasons why this place is so “magical”. As we were leaving, the two gentlemen who escorted us to the last lonely car were just as fired up about tell telling us about Give Kids The World at 9:00 as they were at 4:30 when we first arrived. They can be summed up by one of the last phrases we heard at the end of the night, “We do our best to make sure that the only time we say the word no is when we say no problem”.
- The smiles– It was one of the few atmospheres I have been in recently, (theme parks included) where top to bottom every one was either smiling or laughing hysterically. From watching parents jump in the pool with their kids to parents in the rocking chairs outside of their villas, everywhere you looked the smiles were non stop.
- No Detail Spared– From the minute you pull up to the guard tower, to the time you leave one of the first things one notice is the high level of detail that goes into the day to day operations of Give Kids The World. I know Meagan also mentioned this but the fact that they even have the pool handicap accessible was really neat. Our tour guide mentioned that for a lot of their guests it is the first time that the whole family has had a chance to interact in the pool. Another example that shows Give Kids The World’s attention to detail is the fact that one day a week each of the parks come in and bring their costumed characters in for a chance to meet, greet and interact with each of the children. This gives each of the kids quality time that is special to them and outside of the business of the parks.
How can you get involved?
Do you want to support Give Kids the World? Why not do an Ice Cream for Breakfast party? You can have ice cream with friends and share all about the vision and encourage everyone to donate. Look at how little it takes to offer hope.
- $25 provides unlimited ice cream and tasty toppings served in our Ice Cream Palace for an entire week for one family.Imagine, ice cream for breakfast! We’re serving up cones, cups, milkshakes, sundaes and banana splits beginning at 7:30 in the morning!
- $50 equips a family for fishing and horseback riding.Families enjoy the great outdoors with fishing gear and bait as well as horseback riding at Keaton’s Korral.
- $75 gives a friendly welcome to families visiting Give Kids The World.Volunteer airport greeters help families navigate through Central Florida’s busy airports. Upon check-in, a special button is given to the wish child to signify to theme park staff that the family is due special privileges throughout the week. The Village Guide, an informational guidebook outlining local information and the week’s activities, is a useful tool for families during their once-in-a-lifetime wish trip.
- $100 grants a year’s worth of family holidays packed into one fun-filled week.At the Village, each night brings another reason to celebrate. No matter the time of year, families celebrate together with a summer-themed BBQ, Halloween and a winter evening complete with Santa, a Winter Wonderland Parade and snow. There is something fun planned each night of the week — even a night to celebrate birthdays!
- You can Volunteer – Find out more information HERE!
The funny thing is as long as this post is this is just a drop in the bucket as to what this organization does for those individuals it serves. If you get a minute please go check out the website at http://www.gktw.org/, for more information and to see additional pictures and videos of this great organization.